Coffee and Caffeine – The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly Truth
The overall health effects of coffee and caffeine is a bit controversial. If you ask, people’s response will either be positive or negative depending on the individual you ask. They will say it is either healthy or harmful to the body. However, irrespective of the negative things you may have already heard about coffee and caffeine, there are still good things about them. For instance, coffee has a high level of antioxidants and they are linked to a reduced risk of a lot of diseases. But at the same time, coffee has caffeine which can cause unwanted problems for some people and disrupt needful sleep which is important for the body and general wellbeing.
This article covers what you should know about coffee and caffeine and how they affect your health.
The Good Benefits of Coffee and Caffeine
Coffee improves the performance of the body by a significant percent and it helps the body in a lot of ways. Below are some of the ways coffee helps the body.
- Coffee can help you lose weight and burn fat. Caffeine found in coffee helps cells to break down fat tissues and make use of it as fuel for training. It contains potassium and magnesium which helps to reduce cravings for sugary snacks and treats.
- It boosts physical performance and helps you to stay alert and focused. You can improve your mental alertness with a moderate intake of coffee per day. Coffee can increase the adrenaline levels in your blood. Adrenaline is the body’s hormone which helps you to prepare for physical exertion.
- Coffee reduces the risk of cancers and lowers the risk of death. research has shown that overall risk of premature death is up to 25% lower for coffee drinkers than those who don’t drink coffee. Another research showed coffee may reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer in men by 20%. It also showed a reduced risk of endometrial cancer in women by 25%.
- Coffee brightens the mood of people and helps them to fight off depression. This, in turn, leads to lower risk of suicide.
There are other health benefits of coffee and caffeine. Some of which cause a reduced risk of stroke, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and Type II diabetes.
Disadvantages of Coffee and Caffeine
- Coffe can be toxic and can kill you. A bad quality of coffee can contain impurities which induce headaches and causes sickness. This happens when your coffee is made from unripe beans. Also, if you consume a large amount of coffee in a short time, the coffee will be lethal. But you will know before it gets too far because you’ll be vomiting most of it.
- Coffee and pregnancy do not go well together. Babies are highly sensitive to caffeine. Reduce your coffee intake if you are pregnant.
- It can cause restlessness and insomnia. Yes, there is a chance that you will become restless and sleep deprived when you take coffee. Sleep is and will always be a healthy body requirement. Using coffee to keep sleep away will have negative effects on your health.
- Coffee can be addictive. Caffeine is a drug. Its potency is not so different other drugs you have probably been warned to stay away from. Taking too much of it can make you addicted to it.
The caffeine found in coffee can also be found in regular soft drinks, but in varying quantities. Running away from coffee and heading towards coca-cola won’t be doing much for you as it contains caffeine as well.
The key is to take everything in moderation and avoid going overboard.