I found it interesting when I saw that you could spice up your chicken with garri. Yes, the regular garri you drink with sugar. The same one you drown it hot water to eba. Food bloggers are doing exciting things with Nigerian cuisine. Afrolems shared this recipe and I couldn’t resist. You can visit her blog HERE
for more information and pictorial guide.
- 5-7 Pieces of Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 cup of Garri (Ijebu Garri)
- 2 tablespoons of Suya Spice
- A tablespoon of Dry Pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Ginger Powder
- One teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried herbs (optional)
- Season your chicken and allow to marinate.
- In a bowl, mix the garri, breadcrumbs, seasoning cubes, suya spice, garlic powder, ginger powder, dried herbs and pepper.
- Whisk your eggs in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place your chicken in the garri breadcrumb mix, move it to the bowl of the egg and place in there and back in the garri breadcrumb mix and set aside.
- Heat up your vegetable oil and deep fry your chicken at first on high heat for a minute and then on medium heat to allow the chicken cook if you did not pre-cook it. Pre-cooking the chicken makes it easier to fry.
- Blend your ketchup and peppers and serve with the garri crusted chicken